Turmeric is considered the best medicinal spice in Ayurveda. It cures the whole person. Turmeric is pungent, bitter and astringent. It can be consumed by all doshas but may increase Pitta if used in excess as it is heating. Turmeric is anti-inflammatory, helps digestion, maintains the flora of the intestine, reduces gas, has tonic properties and is an antibiotic. It can be used for cough, sty, diabetes, cuts, wounds and skin problems.
I love using turmeric. I add it to most of the foods I cook. Through my studies I have learned how to use turmeric to help reduce specific conditions. Below are five suggestions on how to use turmeric to help get rid of some common conditions.
- Bronchial cough, tonsillitis – boil 1 cup of hot milk with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder together for 3 minutes and drink at bed time.
- Sore throat – mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon of mineral salt with 1 cup of warm water. Gargle several times a day.
- Cuts, fungal nail infections – mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder with 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel and apply to the affected area. Be mindful that turmeric will stain your clothes and skin.
- Swelling from an injury – apply a paste of turmeric powder and water.
- External hemorrhoids – mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of ghee. Apply the mixture of ghee locally at bedtime.